adapted from Williams Sonoma
1 sheet frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
1 egg, beaten, to be used for egg wash
3 oz creme fraiche
2 oz Gruyere, shredded (I used Swiss, since I was on Birthday Club budget)
8 bacon slices, cooked crisp
10 chives, snipped
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and lightly grease baking sheet.
2. Roll out puff pastry on lightly floured surface, until it’s about 1/4 inch thick and about 10 x 8. Transfer to baking sheet and score 1/2 border around pastry for crust. Prick the center of the pastry, to prevent air bubbles. Brush border with egg wash and chill for 15 minutes.
3. In a mixing bowl, mix together creme fraiche and shredded cheese and season with salt and pepper.
4. Remove the pastry from fridge. Spread creme fraiche mixture over pastry, keeping the crust clean. Lay the bacon on top. Mmmm bacon. Bake for 14 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through.
5. Remove from oven and deflate any air bubbles with a fork. Crack eggs on top. Bake until the egg whites are set, and the yolks are soft, 7-10 minutes. (I cooked mine until the yolks were set, so they wouldn’t make a mess when I transported the tart.)
6. Garnish with snipped chives, cut and dig in!