adapted from The Essence of Emeril
1 lb penne pasta
2 tbs unsalted butter
1 tbs EVOO
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tbs Emeril’s Bayou Blast Essence (recipe can be found here)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup jalapeno, finely chopped
1 tbs garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cup tomato, diced
1 cup Pepper Jack, shredded
1/4 Parmesan, grated
2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped (we used dried & it was fine)
2 tbs fresh basil, chopped (dried here too)
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; salt it well. Add pasta and cook until al dente.
2. In a large saucepan over medium high heat, melt butter and EVOO together. Season the shrimp with 1 tbs of the Essence and 1/4 tsp of the salt. Add to the pan and sear until browned on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Add the onions and jalapenos to the pan and saute until the onions are softened and lightly caramelized, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic to the pan and saute for about 30 seconds. Add cream, remaining tablespoon of Essence, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Simmer until reduced by half.
4. Return the shrimp to the pan, add the tomatoes and pasta and cook until the sauce is mixed well. (We actually put ours back in the big pasta pot for more room to toss.)
5. Remove from heat and toss with Pepper Jack, Parmesan, parsley and basil. Serve.