from Annie’s Eats
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper
3 large egg whites
1 tbsp. water
vegetable cooking spray
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied and cut into halves (4 pieces total)
2 cups marinara sauce, warmed
about 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (we used 6 cheese Italian blend)
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Ajust oven rack to middle position.
2. In a medium-sized skillet, heat olive oil. Add breadcrumbs and toast until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Spread the breadcrumbs out in a shallow dish, allow to cool a bit, and mix in the Parmesan.
3. In another shallow dish, combine flour, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. In yet another shallow dish, whisk together egg whites and water.
(Think I have enough 8 x 8 baking dishes?)
5. Spray a baking sheet (line with foil for easy cleanup) with cooking spray. Pat chicken dry. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour, shaking off excess. Dip into egg whites, shaking off excess. Finally dredge in bread crumbs, coating well, and pressing the crumbs so they stick well to the chicken. Place on baking sheet.
6. Bake until chicken is firm and no longer pink, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven, spoon about 2 tablespoons of marina on top, and add shredded cheese. Place back in the oven for 5 more minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Delicious! Nothing like heavy, fried chicken parmesan…the baked stuff never is…but nonetheless, good.