Oooops. Too late. We had a three foot tall chocolate birthday cake. Good thing it was delicious.
For the cake:
2 cup sugar
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa (I am currently boycotting Hershey since they moved the York plant to Mexico. I used some off brand cocoa powder & it was fine.)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
For the icing:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
2/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
3 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9in round cake pans.
2. In a large bowl, or in the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
3. Mix in boiling water (this makes the batter very thin, don’t worry).
4. Pour evenly into cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Cool for at least 10 minutes. Transfer from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
6. To make the frosting, stir melted butter into cocoa.
7. Add some of the powdered sugar, then some of the milk. Continue alternating the two until frosting is a good consistency to spread.
8. Add vanilla and combine.
9. Frost cakes and decorate as desired!
Okay, maybe the cake wasn’t exactly three feet tall, but it was tall. You should be fine making this recipe as posted. Not doubled.