it’s about time for some dessert, isn’t it? i can’t believe we haven’t posted one since we’ve been back blogging, because we have definitely been eating them. this cake is for the coffee lovers only. it is intense. and delicious. and perfect for this day that i am craving starbuck’s. it’s technically not a really a macchiato, since there’s no espresso, but caramel coffee cake makes this sound like breakfast.
not to say you couldn’t eat this cake for breakfast.
adapted from the pioneer woman cooks!, with a twist
2 cups flour
2 cups white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1 cup) regular (salted) butter
3 tablespoons instant coffee
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) regular (salted) butter
1 pound powdered sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons instant coffee
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 to 4 tablespoons heavy cream (maybe)
1. start by making the filling so it has some time to cool. preheat oven to 425°. pour sweetened condensed milk into a 9 inch pie plate and cover with foil. place in a larger baking dish and fill the larger dish with hot water, about 3/4 the way up the pie plate. bake for 1 hour, until caramel in color. pour into a bowl and beat with electric mixer until smooth (we totally left out that last step. that’s why ours has dark flecks. whatever.). let cool to room temperature.
2. now, let the oven cool to 350°. grease and flour 2 round cake pans.
3. in a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar & salt. now it’s butter time. over medium low heat, melt the 2 sticks of butter. while it’s melting, add the instant coffee to the boiling water & stir until dissolved. when the butter has all melted, add the coffee to the pot. mmmmmmm. let it come to a boil for about ten seconds, turn the heat off and set aside for a minute. 4. now measure out the buttermilk, crack the eggs into it, and add vanilla & baking soda. stir with a fork until combined.
5. pour the butter/coffee into the flour mixture. mix it together, just to cool it down a bit. so you don’t cook the eggs & stuff when you add them, which is what you do now. fold together (gently) until well combined. don’t beat it to death & pour between the two cake pans. bake for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. allow to cool completely.
6. on to the icing. add all the icing ingredients together in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on high, until light & fluffy.
to assemble, take one cake out of the pan and place on cake platter. spread a thin(ish) layer of coffee buttercream on top of it. spoon caramel on top of buttercream, but not too much, or it will run all over the sides. work kind of quickly to put the next cake on top and finish icing the outsides. decorate with leftover caramel.
dig in & get your caffeine fix!