the main dish from our fist-pumping dinner party was this fabulous pork loin. it was full of flavor & looked very cool thanks to the garlic stuffed inside. we doubled the recipe for our crowd of twelve, but the one listed below should easily feed 6 hungry people.
from the dinosaur bar b que cookbook (thanks cousins! this book is awesome!)
2 heads roasted garlic
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground ancho chile
2 teaspoons dried flaked chipotle chile
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 boneless pork loin (about 3lbs)
4 large cloves garlic, quartered
salt & pepper
1. squeeze the pulp from the two heads of roasted garlic into a small mixing bowl. add the remainder of the rub ingredients & stir together to form a wet rub.
2. stab holes in the pork loin & insert one of the garlic quarters into each hole. massage (that sounds kinda gross) the wet rub all over the pork loin. cover & refrigerate. overnight is best.
3. fire up the grill. (dinosaur bbq uses charcoal, but we only have gas. if you’ve got charcoal, go ahead and use it, i bet it would be delicious.) season the roast with salt & pepper.
4. throw the pork loin on the grill & sear the first side for 2 minutes. if there’s extra rub on the plate, go ahead & smear it on. you don’t want to waste it. it’s good stuff. sear each of the other sides for 2 minutes as well.
5. turn the grill temperature down, until it’s about 350° cook the roast for about an hour, until the internal temp reaches 150°. pull from the grill and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes before serving, so the juices don’t all run out when you slice it. you don’t want to end up with a dry pork roast.