This week’s Food Matters Project recipe brings us the very first dessert of the challenge. It came at the absolute perfect time, too, because we were celebrating Father’s Day & my dad just so happens to love cherries & chocolate.
We went ahead & made this recipe just as written & while it was good, it was kind of hard to flip while cooking, hard to keep together while eating & the choice of bread wasn’t really our favorite. Here are just a few of the ideas swimming around in my head to improve on this the next go ’round:
1. Use Nutella in place of the chocolate chips to help keep the sandwich together a little better. Also because Nutella is just good.
2. Macerate the cherries with a pinch of sugar to flatten them out & make them juicy & sweet.
3. Use a softer bread. The wheat farm bread we used was just too tough & hard to eat.
4. Substitute other fruits for the cherries. I think raspberries, strawberries or bananas would be so, so good.
5. Turn this a stuffed French toast. The chocolate/fruit combination would make for an amazing brunch once dipped in egg batter & pan fried.