1. The Front Room grand opening @ The Cookery. We’ve packed a lot in to the past week & it all kicked off last Saturday in Durham. The Cookery opened a little over a year ago as a rentable commercial kitchen, where a lot of area food trucks do their prep work & recently completed renovations on the rest of the former food co-op building, introducing The Front Room: a gorgeous event space for up to 200 people with high ceilings, exposed brick, metal details, a mezzanine, outdoor patio & full bar with North Carolina beers on tap with pop-up restaurants coming soon. If you’re in the Triangle & need an event space, check this place out for sure.
2. Sympathy for the Deli. The road outside The Cookery was blocked off for the grand opening celebration & lined with food trucks that share the space’s kitchen. Sympathy for the Deli is one that I’ve been wanting to try for awhile, even more so once Tom came home from work raving about it. All of SFTD’s organic, locally-sourced, sustainable meats are all hand cured, roasted &/or smoked & are delicious. My hot smoked turkey (with bacon, of course) on Guglhupf sourdough was one of the best sandwiches I’ve had in awhile. Tom’s pretty stuck on the Reuben. The peakles (spicy, pickled snap peas) are out of this world.
3. Ben Folds Five. Back together with a new album! & we got to see them on Sunday! & even though it poured rain all day, it didn’t rain a drop while we were there! Good stuff.
4. Pie Pushers. More love for local food trucks. My veggie slice was satisfyingly crispy, but soft & garlicky, as was Tom’s equally delicious slice with caramelized onions & Farmhand Foods sausage. Pie Pushers, we’re following you on Twitter. We will meet again.
5. iOS 6. So far, so good. Just be careful if you’re traveling, I’ve heard major bridges are melting.