this asparagus is a perfect side dish for any meal, because it’s so easy & can be made ahead. you just grill some asparagus, mix together the vinaigrette & then IT JUST SITS THERE. how low maintenance is that? really.
from bobby flay’s grill it!
1 1/2 lbs asparagus (about 24 stalks)olive oil
salt & pepper
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
1 tablespoon asian hot chile sauce, like siracha
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
more salt & pepper
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons white sesame seeds, toasted
1. heat the grill to high. break the woody ends off the asparagus (they should easily snap off the ends). put asparagus in a large plastic bag with oil, salt & pepper. toss to coat.
2. grill the asparagus for 3-5 minutes on each side under they are tender, but still crisp.
3. toast the sesame seeds. put a single layer in a saute pan and heat over medium low until fragrant, shaking the pan ever so often. be careful not to burn them. let cool.
4. whisk together vinegar, honey, chile sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt, pepper, canola oil and sesame seeds until combined.
5. place the grilled asparagus in a baking dish. pour the vinaigrette over them and toss to make sure they all get coated. cover the dish & refrigerate for at least for hours before serving, 24 hours at the most.