we’re new to the world of quinoa (pronounced keen-wah), this super grain containing 11g fiber & 8g protein per serving, but those nutritional facts, paired with this avocado dressing & topped with a few perfectly roasted shrimp and you can’t really argue.
super quick & easy to put together, we served this warm for dinner, and enjoyed the leftovers, just as much, cold the next day. the shrimp aren’t a requirement, especially if you are looking for this to be a side dish, i just thought they were a nice, spicy contrast to the creamy quinoa. if you’re vegetarian, or just don’t dig shrimp, leave them off and swap the chicken broth for vegetable stock.
based on the recipe from proceed with caution
extra virgin olive oil
for the quinoa:
1lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
chili powder to coat
1 large zucchini, sliced into 1/4in thick “half moons”
1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup monterrey jack cheese, shredded
2/3-1 cup avocado dressing (recipe to follow)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
salt & pepper
for the dressing: (makes 1 1/2 cups)
1 large, ripe avocado
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
3/4 cup water
salt & pepper
1. preheat the oven to 400 degrees. lay shrimp on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil and chili powder to coat. do the same with the sliced zucchini, but just sprinkle with salt & pepper, no chili powder.
2. roast the shrimp and zucchini. the shrimp will take 6-8 minutes, usually, depending on their size. the zucchini should be done in 10-12 minutes.
3. get the quinoa going. combine quinoa with chicken broth in a saucepan. bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover & cook for 10-15, until the quinoa is tender and translucent.
4. while everything is cooking, make the avocado dressing. just combine all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor or blender, and puree until smooth. set aside.
5. when the quinoa, shrimp & zucchini are ready, combine the quinoa, zucchini, cheese, cilantro & 2/3 cup dressing in a large bowl. toss to combine & add more dressing, if desired, but it’s really good, so you’ll probably want some more. season with salt & pepper to taste.